NHS National Guidance support for everyone
To NHS has produced a range of information to support people, including the general public, people with Covid-19 symptoms and vulnerable groups:
- Advice for everyone - Coronavirus (COVID-19): https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
- Health at Home: Information to help people access non-emergency NHS services online, https://www.nhs.uk/health-at-home/
- NHS App: The NHS App is a simple and secure way to access a range of NHS services on your smartphone or tablet including ordering repeat prescriptions, checking symptoms and more
NHS COVID-19 services
For people with COVID-19 symptoms, there is a suite of interrelated digital services to support them:
- The 111 Coronavirus service is specifically for people to check if they have coronavirus symptoms https://111.nhs.uk/covid-19/
- Once patients have completed the 111 journey they are invited to sign up for text messages to support them https://111.nhs.uk/covid-19/sms with a seven day series of text for patients living alone and a 14 day series of texts for people living in households. This asks them to respond with their symptom status at day six and day 14.
- People with symptoms are also invited to complete an online Status Checker https://www.nhs.uk/coronavirus-status-checker
- People who are told to self-isolate by 111 can use the Isolation Note service if they need evidence for themselves or their family for employers
Extremely vulnerable to COVID-19
- Public Health England (PHE) has identified that there are groups of patients who are considered to be extremely vulnerable to COVID-19. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19
- NHS England and NHS Improvement has written to all these patients advising them to shield themselves and NHSX, working with NHSBSA, has sent text messages to all those patients for whom mobile phone numbers are held. The list of patients (the Shielded Patients List (SPL)) has been developed and is maintained by NHS Digital.(https://digital.nhs.uk/coronavirus/shielded-patient-list
- The NHS website has published medical specific advice for these patients (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/advice-for-people-at-high-risk/) and the Government has set up a service to register them (https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable) which will allow them to receive priority support.
The Government has identified a wider range of people that it has identified as “Non Shielded Vulnerable” (NSV) that includes groups with medical, financial and social care needs, which in many cases overlap.