North London Partners in health and care

Help with an urgent health need

It’s important to get medical help if you think you need it. There are a range of health services that can help when you have an urgent health problem. 

Using the right service for your needs, can help you get the care you need faster.

If you’re not sure what to do, contact NHS 111. It’s open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Visit or call 111.


NHS 111 can help if you have an urgent medical problem and you’re not sure what to do. You can get help online or on the phone:

NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you’re Deaf and want to use the phone service, you can contact the NHS 111 British Sign Language interpreter service

You can also call 18001 111 on a textphone.

Depending on the situation, when you contact NHS 111, you will:

  • find out what local service can help you
  • be connected to a nurse, emergency dentist, pharmacist or GP
  • get a face-to-face appointment if you need one
  • be given an arrival time if you need to go to A&E – this might mean you spend less time in A&E
  • be told how to get any medicine you need
  • get self-care advice.

Pharmacists are highly trained healthcare professionals, who can offer clinical advice and over-the-counter medicines for a range of minor illnesses, such as coughs, colds, sore throats, tummy trouble and aches and pains.

Pharmacists have the right training to make sure you get the help you need. For example, they will tell you if you need to see a GP, nurse or other healthcare professional.

Many pharmacies are open until late and at weekends. You do not need an appointment.

Most pharmacies have a private consultation room where you can ask for advice without being overheard.

If you're not sure where to get medical help, contact NHS 111. It’s open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

You can visit an NHS urgent treatment centre or walk in centre if you need help with a minor injury or illness, or an urgent health problem that is not life threatening.

Conditions they can help with include sprains and strains, minor burns and scalds, minor head and eye injuries, and bites and stings.

You can find the locations and opening times of all the urgent treatment centres and walk-in centres in north central London on the NHS NCL CCG website.

If you're not sure where to get medical help, contact NHS 111. It’s open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Call your GP surgery if you need an urgent appointment. If your GP surgery is closed, a recorded message will tell you who to contact.

Evening and weekend GP appointments

Evening and weekend GP appointments are available for adults and children at GP Hubs across Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Haringey and Islington. Find out how to book an appointment in your area.

If you're not registered with a GP

You can call any GP surgery to request emergency treatment for up to 14 days if you are not registered with a GP or are away from home.

If your treatment will last longer than 14 days, you'll have to register as a temporary or permanent resident. Read more about:

If you need urgent dental treatment, contact your usual dental practice. They may be able to see you or direct you to an urgent dental care service.

If you do not have a regular dentist, contact NHS 111 for advice on where you can get urgent care. NHS 111 is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Do not contact a GP. They cannot provide dental treatment.

If you need help for a mental health crisis or emergency, you should get immediate expert advice and assessment. 

Mental health crisis lines: Children and young people aged under 18 years 

Are you supporting a young person or child who are struggling with a mental health crisis?   

  • Call 0800 151 0023 anytime 24 hours a day 7 days a week

You will speak to a qualified mental health professional and access information and advice about local services in Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Haringey and Islington.

Mental health crisis lines: adults and people aged over 18 years

Help for adults and people aged over 18 years experiencing a mental health crisis. 

Our crisis phone lines are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

  • Barnet, Enfield and Haringey residents: 0800 151 0023
  • Camden and Islington residents call: 0800 917 3333 (If you can wait for a GP appointment, you can access routine specialist mental health support via GP referral to Camden and Islington's Primary Care Mental Health services.)

Local organisations in north central London providing support

Information about local organisation that provide support to residents of Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Haringey and Islington is available on the NCL CCG website:




An A&E department (also known as an emergency department or casualty) deals with genuine life-threatening emergencies, such as:

  • loss of consciousness
  • acute confused state and fits that are not stopping
  • chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding that cannot be stopped
  • severe allergic reactions
  • severe burns or scalds
  • stroke
  • major trauma such as a road traffic accident

Less severe injuries can be treated at an urgent care centre.

If you're not sure whether you should go to A&E, contact NHS 111, who will be able to advise you.