Successful bid for Priscilla Wakefield House to become a teaching care home
Priscilla Wakefield nursing home, Haringey, has been selected to participate in the Foundation of Nursing Studies’ (FoNS) Teaching Care Homes programme following a competitive selection round with other care homes across the country. Senior staff at the home in conjunction with their named GP and Whittington Health NHS Trust submitted an application to the programme to enhance diabetes care in the home. The programme selection panel visited Priscilla Wakefield House on 25th February 2019 before a final decision was made, as to which care homes have been successful accepted onto the programme.
The Foundation of Nursing Studies (FoNS) Teaching Care Homes programme led by Care England, and initially funded by the Department of Health and Social Care began in May 2016. During this pilot phase, Care England, in partnership with FoNS, Manchester Metropolitan University and the International Longevity Centre UK (ILK-UK) worked with and supported five care homes across England.
In early 2017, Care England successfully secured funding from the Burdett Trust for Nursing to support ten further homes over two years; five homes to be recruited in late 2017/early 2018 and a further five homes in late 2018/early 2019. To provide an opportunity to continue to:
- raise the profile of care home nursing by sharing the learning and developments achieved
- support the development of a network of care homes that can act as 'critical friends' or 'buddies' to other homes
- create wider learning opportunities for the care sector by supporting both local and wider events
- add to the body of knowledge through publication
The aims of the programme are:
- to demonstrate an ongoing commitment to person-centred care and ways of working, which will be experienced by all who live, die, visit and work in the home
- to develop centres for learning, practice development and research, actively engaging with staff, students, residents and the community
- to have strong working relationships with academic and education providers and are a resource for other care homes
For more information go to https://www.fons.org/programmes/teaching-care-homes